Saturday, November 23, 2013

Essential {Oils} to your Health

Let's talk about oils.
You are probably thinking "you are a RD, what do you know about essential oils?!"
You would be correct. I don't know much. However, I am learning a lot along the way.

I get sinus infections this time of year frequently. Actually, more like a little sniffle turns into a 2+ month long sinus infection that brings me to my knees before I finally break down for antibiotics {because I am--excuse the double negative--anti- antibiotics}. I think they are swell when truly needed and I am grateful for modern medicine. However, working in the medical world you see how people over-use and abuse meds. Everyone wants a quick fix and to feel better. I get that, but what if there was a quick fix and to feel better fast that didn't require a trip to the MD.

Back to my 2+ month long sinus infection that brings on laryngitis. {Did I mention I am a singer?...can't be having laryngitis all winter.} I was dying and decided looking into home remedies outside of the neti pot. Ugh. I hate that thing. Then I stumbled upon this post. {CLICK HERE} Healing your sinus infection with Tea Tree Oil. I tried it. Couldn't hurt. I went to my local health food store and got the NOW and Aura Cacia brands. Came home boiled some water, put in a few drops and inhaled.


O mercy. My pounding headache went from a 13 on a scale of 1-10 to a 2.5! A-MAZING!! That was just one treatment. As the afternoon wore on the sinus pressure crept in again, but at the first sign I boiled up the water solution {I saved it because I am frugal like that.} and breathed deep. Ah, sweet relief. I did it once more before bed. I then placed a few drops {10 ea--it's a large humidifier} of Eucalyptus, Lavender, and Rosemary oils in my humidifier.

When I woke this next morning I felt so much better. I ended up doing 1 more treatment of the tea tree oil by lunch and after that I was fine. FINE, I tell ya, FINE!!. Do you hear what I am telling you?! I am astounded.

My husband came home later complaining about sinus pressure and I hooked him up with the facial steam and he even noticed a huge difference. I think he did it 3x too and boom. All better!

He laughs at me about my essential oils, but he isn't laughing anymore. One thing I do know is most if not all of our pharmaceuticals come from understanding plant properties and how they "cure." Then they re-create it. SO...why not just go straight to the plant?! Again, I am truly thankful for modern medicine we need that, but sometimes we could put the cough syrup down and try a more natural approach to healing our bodies. I know I am turning all "crunchy" on you, I am just as surprised. What can I say I am becoming more of a hippy parent by the day. HA!



Now for KIDS!
So my beautiful daughter doesn't sleep. Ever. She will be 5 soon and there are maybe a handful of nights she has ever just gone to bed and stayed in bed and slept. EVER. Then I found this post {CLICK HERE} Again, couldn't hurt. So at bedtime I put a little lavender drop on the soles of their feet and rub the excess on their little wrists. {I do this to myself too!} And boom. They are asleep! ASLEEP!!!! Now, with my son who knows. He is a great sleeper. My daughter. Holy cow. This is what she said to me the next morning.
Lo: Mommy did this stuff [lavender oil] help you sleep?
Me: yes, it did. How did you sleep last night?
Lo: So good I just passed right out! I was reading my book and couldn't even finish it because I was like [she acts out passing out asleep].
Where was this when she was a newborn?!


And she is right when I put it on, I feel so sleepy within 10 minutes. If you know me you know I A) don't sleep well or fall asleep within 10 minutes of head hitting pillow and B) take Rx sleeping pills to even sleep. {that seems contradictory, but believe me I tried melatonin and other methods to NO avail.}


I have several more to try out as we enter cold and flu season and I shall keep you posted on how they work. If you use essential oils I would love to hear your experience with them. We are a relatively healthy family, so let's just keep it that way!!

Disclaimer - The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as diagnosis, treatment, or prescription for any disease. The decision to use, or not to use, any of this information is the sole responsibility of the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment